Thursday, June 27, 2013

Impromptu Date Night and being thankful God doesnt always listen to our foolishness.

My husband and I schedule Monday nights as our date night. (Yes, we actually schedule our date nights coz I personally believe that if something isn't scheduled in a calendar, then that event must not be a priority). We have impromptu date nights from time to time but we work hard to keep  some time on Mondays free for us to spend quality time with each other. 

This past Monday though, we had high school camp going on and I wanted to be there and support the next generation by praying for them. He encouraged me go, even if he wanted to spend time with me coz he had a very busy week last week. 

Needless to say, we didnt have our "Mondate" (Monday Date) and my son got sick with a fever, so going out wasn't an option for us this week.

Last night, he surprised me with an impromptu date night by setting up our patio with candles and gourmet dessert and drinks (aka chocolates, brownie brittle and water) ;) And we spent about 2 hours in our patio just talking about us, our family and other random stuff. 


The best thing about this date is that we didn't have to leave home or spend money for food or find a babysitter. Here in Hawaii, we don't have much options to leave the baby with "free" sitters coz the grandparents and almost all our family live in the mainland...which means we take her with us every Mondate.

Tonight, my son cooperated with his dad's plan (even if he wasn't feeling well) and kept himself busy by watching TV and being our "lookout" in case his sister woke up or cried. This has been our first date in 3 months that she wasn't "with" us. 

It's the little surprises like these that make my heart smile and realize how truly blessed I am to have a husband that continues to surprise me, even with the simplest of things. 

Tonight also reminded me to continue to be thankful to God, coz I remember when I was so adamant about not ever wanting to get married and I wanted to be a single mom for life

As I sat on the patio chair looking at the flickering light, my heart paused to worship God in that moment as I spent time with my husband. I'm grateful that He has allowed me the privilege to live this life with John by my side.

I'm glad that God always knows better, and sometimes that could mean not answering prayers the way we want Him to.... only because He has a way better plan than we do. Had God chosen to answer my prayers about remaining single and not ever wanting to get married, I would have missed out on something soooo wonderful. 

Tonight was one of those nights that reminded me once again that He truly does make everything beautiful in His time. 

By the way, if you haven't tried brownie brittles, you are seriously missing out. Stop reading this. GO TO COSTCO and buy it ASAP! You can thank me later :)