"You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil" - Genesis 3:4-5
you will be like God. i used to look at this verse and think eve was so stupid to fall for this trick. but the more i pondered on this verse, the more i realized why the enemy decided to use this lie to tempt eve. it's because it's our weakness. we all long to be something bigger than we are. and sometimes the enemy wants to use the greatness that God had put inside of us to glorify Jesus and twist it in order for us to glorify ourselves.
the fact of the matter is...almost every day we are faced with an opportunity to feed this lie. the enemy taunts us to do things in our lives, and most of the time it is presenting short cuts or a detour route of what was originally God's plan for us, so we can please our inner-sinner man who sooo desires to be like a demi-god (meaning we love worshiping ourselves). these are lies like:
- don't wait to have sex before marriage, just sleep with this person so you won't feel so alone anymore.
- you don't have to follow proper protocol at work, just cheat your way through it so you can get to the top.
- there is no need for remaining accountable to another person, you already are a leader and don't need anyone (or cannot trust anyone) to tell you what to do.
- you don't have to tell your spouse that, one little white lie won't hurt.
- there is no need to share to others about your struggles (anger, resentment, anorexia, etc) or addiction (pornography, food, cigarette, drug, etc) you can control this yourself. you don't need help.
- you don't NEED to read the bible/pray everyday.
- "you will surely not die.....for God knows that when you do ________ ...your eyes will be opened and you will be like God"
daily soul food: we need to stop feeding the inner-sinner man in us that longs to be like a god. anytime we hear a thought or a voice that causes us to question the very promises of God and it makes us act in a selfish manner that exalts us instead of God....we need to kill that thought immediately. in fact , once we are aware of those lies, we need to do the exact opposite of it. before we do or say anything...we always need to make sure to check the motive of our heart and let our actions glorify The Lord God instead of our inner god.