Sunday, May 2, 2010

love yourself.


"love your neighbor as yourself."
the second greatest commandment is to love our neighbors as ourselves.

we like to look at that verse and concentrate on the "loving others" part... but we forget that it also means that He's commanding us to love ourselves. isn't that weird that God commands us to love other people the same way we love ourselves? after all loving ourselves sounds easy right? we're prideful human beings and the thought of self love sounds pretty good to us.

if self love is so easy, why then do you think it's so hard for us to love others? why is it such a struggle for us human beings to love others unconditionally? why are we quick to judge? quick to blame? quick to covet and envy? why is it so easy for us to think like we aren't enough or don't have what it takes. or some take it to another extreme and feel like "we're all that" and look down on other people.

could it be that the reason why we have such a hard time loving others is because we don't truly love ourselves. and i don't mean a narcissistic kind of love but a healthy love for ourselves.

a love that says:
  • i love how God made me, despite my flaws.
  • i love the body He has given me, all 5 feet and 1 & 3/4 inch of it. the 115 lbs that's supposed to be there and the extra 20 lbs that's not. and because i love myself, i will do what i need to do to take care of myself.
  • i love how He has fashioned me. my personality. my quirks. my characteristics. my gifts. my strengths. my capabilities. my calling. my purpose. i love how i am unique. one of a kind.
  • i am learning to embrace my weaknesses. because having weaknesses makes me imperfect and im okay with that... but i will also be willing to do whatever it takes so that i grow in those areas.
having a healthy self-love only comes by following the first commandment: to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength.

we cannot give what we don't have. in order to give something, we must receive it first. and receiving real Love only comes from the One who personifies Love. before we learn to love others, we must learn to fall in love with the One who made us and fashioned us.... once we begin to identify ourselves with this Beautiful God who made us, then and only then will we be able to fully understand and love ourselves in a healthy way and our identity won't be wrapped around our egos (or lack thereof).

only by understanding that, will we be able to love others the way He commands us to. coz we will realize that each person has flaws. each person has their own unique quirks, gifts, callings, personalities and their own purpose. once we realize that then we can celebrate each person's uniqueness and give grace during times of weakness.

so go ahead my friends and love on God...
and share a lil bit of that love on yourself ;)

the world will be a better place because of it.

We loved because He first loved us. If anyone says "I love God", yet hates his brother, He is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And He has given us this command: whoever loves God must also love his brother. [1John:4:19-21]