Wednesday, March 17, 2010

shamrocks, green beer and jesus.

today we celebrate st. patrick's day.

our generation has butchered this "so-called-holiday", reducing this man's legacy to guzzling green beer, having everyone carry shamrocks for luck and wearing the color green so we don't get pinched.

what a lot of people don't know or have chosen to forget is that this man was an extreme radical for Jesus.

he was kidnapped. turned into a slave. met God in a dream. went back to his native land. he then met the Holy Trinity, in which his life was radically changed. he studied about his faith. and at the right time, he went back to the very land that had enslaved him and told everyone he met about Jesus by using the shamrock as a symbol to explain the 3-in-1 God that He served. he didn't let his past dictate who he was. instead his past painted a clear picture of where his ministry was going to be. he went back to the very nation that had once enslaved him and showed them what it meant to have freedom in Christ.

a few vital lessons we can learn from st. patrick:
1. we need to love Christ. radically. passionately. wholeheartedly. steadfastly.
2. God WILL call us back to proclaim Christ and His freedom to the very things/people that once enslaved us.
3. God can use one person to change a nation. i really believe that.

because of his passion....he had discipled ireland.
because of his hunger for the Truth, he brought revival to ireland and the rest of europe.
because of his love for Christ... he changed the world.

i want to be like that.

just like st. patrick... i will love Christ wholeheartedly. i will proclaim about His love and freedom and the message of the Cross. and i will choose to love everyone around me enough to change the world.

i will be known as st. patricia ;)

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.” 1 corinthians 2:9

Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me. - st. patrick

Before I was humiliated I was like a stone that lies in deep mud, and He who is mighty came and in His compassion raised me up and exalted me very high and placed me on the top of the wall. - st patrick