Tuesday, March 23, 2010

united in love.

the Body of Christ.
it is a strangely beautiful thing.

God likens His Bride, the church, to the human body. each body part is different. each part has a function to do. and when each part concentrates on its God-given task, it will make the entire body work properly. each body part has a focus and the task is God ordained. imagine the feet telling the ear to walk. or eyes telling the hands to taste. or telling the heart to produce bile. how weird would that be?

we often forget to realize that we are a body that's made up of different parts. we often love to compare, contrast, criticize, blame, judge, talk against and destroy other parts of the ONE BODY that we belong to.

it's sad to say that a lot of Christians do this.
i am guilty of being one of "those christians."

churches will talk smack about other churches, christians against other christians. we do that to the very same people that go to the church that we do. we do that even to our closest friends and family. we somehow feel superior, thinking we have the right to do these things.... we somehow think that we are better than others.

as a parent, i dont want my child to treat any of his cousins, relatives, friends and strangers in a bad way. the way he treats other people is a clear reflection of my parenting skills and how i raise him. yet, if im honest with myself, i know that i am a hypocrite because i treat others, especially those in the family of believers in a way that does not give God glory. is this the kind of reflection of God that i want the world to see?

i often wonder what our Father feels like to see His children living the way we do... doing "church" the way we do. i bet it pains Him to see us live this way.

before Jesus died to sacrifice Himself for us, He prayed a prayer to His Father... and part of His prayer said this: "I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." John 17:202-23

One of Jesus' last request before He died was that His believers would be united. that we would be ONE. it means that this subject is very close to His heart.


after reading this, i was so convicted of the lousy job i've done in the past to show love to His Body. i earlier i said that: the way my son treats other people is a clear reflection of my parenting skills and how i raise him. i wonder what kind of reflection of God we are showing to the world with how we, fellow Christians, treat each other? it's a sobering thing to think about.

it is my desire to be a reflection of God's mercy, grace and love to this broken world, but especially to His broken Body. i ask and i pray that He will allow my heart to comprehend the capability He has put in us to LOVE the same way He chooses to love us. to love mercifully. to love gracefully. to love respectfully. to love unceasingly. to love others like He loves me. i pray that i will be a vessel that will help His Body to fulfill His prayer request - that we will all be united in love - so all men will know that we belong to Him - and by doing so...we'll be able to change the world.


"by this all men will know that you are my disciples: if you love one another" [john 13:35]