Wednesday, February 25, 2009

sacred body.

this whole week, i've been studying for a class that i'm going to teach this weekend regarding "freedom from addictions". as i read the scriptures on the lessons...i came across this verse:

"Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body." 1Corinthians 6:19-20 NLT

i looked up another translation of this verse and it said this:
"Or didn't you realize that your body is a sacred place, the place of the Holy Spirit? Don't you see that you can't live however you please, squandering what God paid such a high price for? The physical part of you is not some piece of property belonging to the spiritual part of you. God owns the whole works. So let people see God in and through your body." MSG

wow. those verses shot through my heart as soon as i read it. the verses i shared above is often used for those who are involved in sexual sin (since the context of the verses before verse 19 was regarding that)... but as i was reading it... i was so caught up with the word "sacred place" that i had to stop and think about it for a while.

my body is a sacred place. come on & say it with me..."my body is a sacred place." WOW! WOW! WOW! if i ever have a chance to visit some "sacred" place one day, say the oval office, i know i would be very careful of what i bring into the place...i would never think of leaving trash inside or to loiter trash around it....and i would treat the place with much respect....

yet, i wonder then, why i don't treat my body that way.

now i'm not talking about me going off having sex anytime the itchin' needs a scratchin' or me smokin' weed & cigarettes & drinking so much. nope...that's not what i'm talking about. coz i've been freed from those addictions years ago....and it feels good to be free from them.

but what about my current addictions that don't make my body so sacred?!?! like maybe twitter... or coffee.... sweets... & chocolates.... facebook... even blogging sometimes.... carbs... eating too much.... what about gossip?... or coffee (oh wait did i say that already? ;) ha!).... what about me being addicted to comfort & laziness (thus why i hate exercising)... what about me being addicted to worrying (thus the insomnia & other factors stress brings).

as i studied the material that im going to teach... God started to prod my heart and He showed me certain things that i needed to change. although i've come a long way from being the old person i once was....i am still a work in progress...and there is always more work to be done in me to make me a better person.

as i've spent time in the Word studying, God has spoken to my heart that i should lead & teach by example...."Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged more strictly." James 3:1 NLT. ugghhh...what did i get myself into when i put myself out there to teach?!?! and of all things...i had to pick freedom from addictions! LOL.

so tonight i post this blog and i sort of hope that you help keep me accountable. like i said in my previous blog....i want to do whatever it takes to get me to the place where "my mind is quieted with His love & that i learn to properly take care of His sacred temple".

i have decided to stay away from certain things & what a better time to start it that during the lenten season...(lol...im not catholic...but these *people have inspired me to somehow fast during this season)....

well im not gonna give up everything entirely...coz i am not going to make a stupid & drastic move that i'm not going to be able to follow through with...i ain't super woman....some of these things i'll be fasting from for a few days, some i'm just hoping to give it up for good (like i did with nicotine & alcohol & such).

they say it takes 21 to 30 days to build a good habit. well here are my current "addictions" that i'd like to see myself change. within the next 46 days (lent - wednesday till easter sunday april 12, 2009) i wil try to sacrifice my "wants" in order for me to attain the goal of a "quiet mind & a sacred body"... here they are in random order:

  • 1. my coffee habit - i am not at a place where i want to give it up completely just yet...i really do enjoy my coffee (hence the blog theme)...but i do want to lessen my caffeine intake down to one cup a day. (i usually have 2-3).
  • 2. sweets - no random sweets on weekdays. no using pms as an excuse for eating chocolates either. sweets are to be eaten only on weekends and in moderation.
  • 3.i will be staying away from twitter & facebook for the moment. LOL. just coz i wanna prove to myself that i'm not addicted to following ashton, demi, shaq & mchammer! nyahaha! and i will instead use this time for something more productive - like praying, meditating, reading a book, playing with my son or just relaxing my mind.
  • 4. my sleeping habits. i will not be sleeping late...like at 3am! everything shut down by midnight.... follow the schedule - yep...i actually have a schedule written down just like a child! LOL...embarrasing!
  • 5. my eating habits - starting march 3 till 40 days after (the day before easter)...i will stay away from unnecessary carbs (asians love their white rice) and replace it with veggies & fruits (blech!) and drink my juice plus & monavie every day!
  • 6. my exercise habit - which is non-existent right now. i am signing up for a 5k walk/run event this april, plus i will also be a bridesmaid, so from now until then...i have to atleast start walking to get ready for those two events....
  • 7. to drink 8 glasses of water a day.
  • 8. and hopefully if i get proper sleep, i eat properly, i exercise atleast 3x a week, and i stay away from time wasters....i will be able to get my weight down from this (which is my "i just woke up and haven't eaten/drank anything but will gain 3 more lbs in the next 3 hours weight") to probably about 125-130 within the next 3-6 months. (my dream goal is 115-120!) i know some of you must be thinking "you're not fat...i weigh so much more than you"... but please don't get me wrong... it's not about being "fat". i really don't feel healthy with my body right now. it's not being insecure...trust me i am the furthest from being insecure about my body...in fact sometimes i'm "over-secure!" LOL! but my height to weight ratio is soooo off... and i find myself catching my breath after climbing a few steps in the stairs that i feel like i haven't really been doing a good job taking care of His temple... and that is why i wanna lose unnecessary weight. it wouldn't hurt to take care of my heart either.
  • 9. last - if i have nothing nice to say - don't say anything at all. (wow - please pray for me on this one!!) i've been trying this since the fast we had at the beginning of the year.... and its HARD! Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Philippians 2:3

so there. here are my top 9 complete change of mindset ways in order for me to give Him the "sacred body" He deserves to live in. pray for me...hopefully i can "walk my talk" these next 40 days that it can become a lifestyle for me :)! if you have tips, suggestions or anything you'd like to talk about what you think you could be giving up too...please feel free to comment & share :)




*people - carlos whittaker, anne jackson, crystal renaud