Wednesday, November 29, 2006

better than life.

Psalm 63

David wrote this psalm while he was in the wilderness of Judah. Dictionary.com describes a desert as a place of barreness, desolation, and lack. In the wilderness...David knew what it felt like to thirst, to long, to crave....he had a lot of needs during that time. He had important physical needs like food, water, shelter...then there were also emotional needs like family and friends & the betrayal he faced and how the king's life was threatened because his own son wanted to kill him. He had more going on in his life during that time than most of us will probably ever have in our lifetime. He faced so much problems & trials - some of them very life threatening, some just very heart breaking - and he was in one of the worst places you can ever be at to experience trials & problems...THE WILDERNESS.

But things always take a new twist with King David. That despite all the hardships he had to endure, how awesome it was that he was able to write one of my most favorite verses in the bible (Ps.63:3) and declare God's goodness while he was in the wilderness. He knew the problems were real....he knew he was in the desert where life wasn't fruitful and it seemed like his prayers weren't being answered. But yet, despite all those facts, he chose to stick with the Truth, and declared that "God's love is better than life itself". The one thing I love about King David was that he always spoke God's truth without watering down his own feelings and emotions as a human being. He knew the balance...he knew his heart and he also knew God.

At that moment the man after God's own heart declared to the very desert that seemed to engulf him that God's lovingkindess was better than anything life had to offer...no matter what life had to offer. Whether he was King on the throne or King on the run....he spoke of God's faithfulness...because he knew who he served....he knew God. Matthew Henry says "he comforted himself with thoughts of God".

I know in my life right now...I can very well relate to this Wilderness Experience. So much is on my plate right now...it's beyond what most people can even begin to comprehend. My smile & the laughter drown out my breaking heart somehow. it seems like I have no answers coming my way - even if i've prayed, fasted, seeked, asked, waited.....somehow everything seems to be on hold. I look at my circumstances and I see barrenness and lack. Just like David - my needs are very real and I am in a desert place. And yet, knowing somehow that God love's me....gives me a sense of peace & stillness in my heart. Yes I cry and I face the pain...I do not water down my problems and pretend it's all fine. I know there's pain....I feel it. And yet, I also know that He loves me. And His love for me is better than anything life has to offer.

I pray that like King David, I will have enough grace & strength to hold on tenaciously, that my soul would cling to Him, to earnestly seek and long for Him - to behold His power and His glory - to learn every day to be fully dependent on Him - because He is faithful and He will satisty my soul with the richest of foods


Psalm 63
A psalm of David, regarding a time
when David was in the wilderness of Judah.

1 O God, you are my God;
I earnestly search for you.
My soul thirsts for you;
my whole body longs for you
in this parch
ed and weary land
where there is no water.

2 I have seen yo
u in your sanctuary
and gazed upon your power and glory.

3 Your unfailing love is better to me than life itself;
how I praise you!

4 I will honor you as long as I live,
lifting up my hands to you in prayer.

5 You satisfy me more than the richest of foods.
I will praise you with songs of joy.

6 I lie awake thinking of you,
meditating on you through the night.

7 I think how much you have helped me;
I sing for joy in the shado
w of your protecting wings.

8 I follow clo
se behind you;
your strong right hand holds me securely.

the desert in judah